It’s not easy being an HGV driver, but the pay is good. So How much HGV Drivers Earn? HGV drivers are typically paid by how many miles they drive for a day – with some companies offering bonuses for deliveries on time or early arrival. HGV drivers in the UK generally earn between £25-£35 per hour, which is equivalent to £50,000-£70,000 annually if they work fulltime hours of 40 per week.
HGV Drivers are paid more than the average UK salary, which is £27,600. HGV drivers can also be given free or discounted fuel by their company to help them save money on petrol – meaning that they come out ahead in terms of income and savings. HGV driver pay rates depend largely on location (London has higher HGV driver pay than any other part of the UK). HGV driver jobs in London will typically pay more than HGV drivers who work elsewhere.
This all depends on many factors including: experience, qualifications and job performance – so it’s best to contact a few HGV companies directly for more information about what they’re looking for out of their HGV drivers.
Benefits of becoming a HGV driver in the UK
- HGV drivers are in demand
- It is a great career choice with many benefits
- You will be able to work for yourself and make your own schedule
- You can get training through schools, colleges, or online courses
- The UK has some of the best roads in the world with plenty of scenic views
- There are many routes you can take depending on where you want to go
How to get qualified as a HGV driver in the UK?
HGV stands for ‘Heavy Goods Vehicle’ and HGV drivers are required to have a HGV licence. The HGV licence is equivalent to having a normal driving license, but it requires extra training – which takes around one year of school and on-the-road experience before being granted the actual HGV driver’s license. You can get HGV training either through HGV schools or HGV companies. Either way, you will be required to pass an HGV test before obtaining the HGV licence, so get ready for some studying!
How to Get Started?
- Sign up with a reputable company
- Take the HGV driver’s test, which is split into two sections
- Complete your training and get on the road!
- Earn up to £60k per year as an HGV driver in the UK
- Get paid for overtime hours and bonuses
- Have more control over your schedule than most other drivers; you can work days, nights, weekends, or even take time off when needed (though this does mean that you’ll be responsible for paying your own taxes)
How much can HGV drivers earn UK?
Often wages are dependent on what kind of company they work for, however the average wage has been estimated to be about £30,000 per annum.
It’s also worth noting that most drivers are self-employed and are not entitled to any type of holiday leave or sick pay. Most companies operate a “no crash, no pay” policy when it comes to recruitment according to reports. Truckers in the UK do sometimes earn benefits when they have one off long journeys given there is often an allowance for time spent away from home overnight.
How much do lorry drivers earn per hour UK?
The average hourly pay for Lorry drivers in the UK is £13.91 according to GlassDoor at the time of this answer. The estimated amount of hours required for this position is 40 hours per week, which would result in an annual salary between £27,771 and £35,209.
This article has given you the ins and outs of truck driving in the UK. If this is something that interests you, then get started today! We’ve provided all of the information for getting your license; now it’s up to you. You’ll be making a great choice by pursuing one of these rewarding careers as an HGV driver.
Finally, we’ve also included some helpful tips on how to find training providers if you want more help along the way (or even just need someone to talk through what they’re doing). So go ahead and take that first step towards becoming a professional trucker–it can’t hurt!